Powered by Blogger.

Charis the “Coffee Writer”

by - February 23, 2020


Last year, I found this awesome cafe in Seoul called ‘Coffee Writer’ 
about a week or two after my initial arrival. 
It took me the entire summer to get there, 
but I had to visit this shop because, well, it's name explains it all.
On my first visit to this special place I was very impressed. 
Primarily, because it felt safe and had a great vibe.
My second visit was one in which I took along a fellow caffeine connoisseur. 
She, an epistolary, and I, a scribbler of thoughts.  
As we sat and wrote away, I reflected on why I was indeed a "coffee writer". 


I am often asked why I love coffee so much 
and why I have become a self-proclaimed coffee nerd. 
My simple response is usually just that I feel like coffee is a gift from God.
I love the taste, I love that there are different types of roasts, beans, and origins 
and tasting notes fascinate the living daylights out of me.

But, there's power that occurs when sitting over a cup of coffee, 
and it's how I best speak to God and articulate the deeper things in my soul.

For the duration of my spiritual life, I've found there to be such a deep connection 
and a sense of heightened awareness when I enter particular coffee shops. 
It seemed to be that if there was a memorable time where my soul was refreshed and filled, 
it was in a coffee shop, or over some kind of special coffee-related moment.

I like that there is a kind of safety in the “present unknown”. 
You could be amongst a sea of people and still retreat to 
a secret place with God and feel secure in that time with Him. 
It echoes God and his omnipresence, always there and a guaranteed refuge.
 The act of freely entering that unknown world is kind of 
what God calls us to when He asks us to trust in Him. 
It’s a little meta, but it makes sense to me in some strange way~
I started thinking about this mystery and started writing down these meaningful reflections.  
Writing down my coffee shop thoughts became like singing, 
it had a free-flowing tune that didn't need to necessarily be controlled, it just was. 

I really enjoyed sitting in God's presence and just enjoying the words
 that came forth from our little coffee dates.
I often ask others to coffee and enjoy being able to just sit in that mystery with them
Because there's power in two souls meeting over coffee.
The Spirit lights up the space and there's no telling where He can go.

I wanted to be able to share about these depths 
and maybe inspire someone to become their own version of a coffee writer, 
inhaling His Word and love and exhaling it in a way that sets your soul on fire. 

You May Also Like

0 comments